Friday, March 6, 2009

Get Real or Get Tough?

I've been pondering for a couple months whether I should get real or get tough. On what? On my grocery budget. For the last several months, I've consistently gone over my $300 grocery budget by about $50. Oh, let's get a little bit real. I only just started budgeting in January and I've never stuck to my $300 grocery budget.

So, the question really is if I should simply increase the budget to $350 or if I should buckle down and try harder to stick to $300 per month. I really tend to blow most of my budget within the first week of my month. I find a lot of sales that I think are too good to pass up and then I end up limping along the rest of the month.

Look at March already. I spent $114 in the first week!! It's nearly half my budget. Of course, I did my big shop in the first week, stocked up on soda to last us at least a month, bought diapers (but I still need more), and have enough toothpaste to last me about 20 years (but I give it all away to friends and family).

Fortunately I don't need much this week. Tombstone pizzas are on sale. My husband has been begging me to buy him some. They are just so expensive, even on sale! My goal is to spend around $30 this week so that I'll have spent about $150 which will last us to halfway through the month. That will be right on budget!!

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I struggle with this too. My dh gets paid every 2 weeks. I always spend most of the grocery money the first weekend and then leave myself $40 or so for the second weekend. Of course I am buying more the first week and we eat it throughout the 2 weeks, but I have never been able to master the certain $ amount each week method. We have a budget of $400 a month, but I also consistently go over. If I have extra in the toiletry, clothing, or gift budget the money gets pulled for food. I am with you, not sure which way to go with the budget.