Monday, December 1, 2008

Genesis . . . the Beginning of the Experiments

I always think the best place to start is at the beginning of a story. So, let me rewind approximately 8 months for you . . .

On St. Patrick's Day (March 17), 2008, I gave birth to my third son. My other two sons were 4 and 1 (today they are 5 and 2). While on my maternity leave from work, I was pumping milk for my son and freezing it. However, when I went to put it in my stand-alone freezer, I realized there was no room. But what was in there? I had no idea.

I immediately decided to find out. It was like a great expedition into the Arctic! Sadly, I found that I had 6 bags of badly freezer burned chicken, 15 packages of hot dogs, 10 ring bologna and about 8 packages of pork chops. This doesn't include all the various bags of frozen vegetables and other miscellaneous things (like the 6 boxes of margarine). What a potential waste! I compiled this list in a small notebook.

Then, since I was so motivated, I came inside and inventoried our refrigerator freezer. Imagine my surprise when I found even more chicken, hot dogs, ring bologna (4) and pork chops. Along with frozen breast milk from my second son!!!

I threw out some of the obviously bad and old stuff. But I just couldn't bring myself to throw out all that meat. Even though it was freezer burned. This lead to my very first experiment . . . and my next post. I'll continue telling this story along the way between my other posts.

No comments: