Sunday, December 7, 2008

Menu Planning Experiment

After completing my inventory of my freezers and pantry, it didn't take much thought for me to conclude that we HAD to eat up all that food. Much of that food was going bad before we could eat it. It was crazy how much we had. The solution? Make a meal plan that included everything we already had.

For the first month or so I only had to buy minimal things from the grocery store. Milk, bread, fruit, etc. I had plenty of boxed potatoes, frozen vegetables and meat in the house.

But I quickly realized that we were eating the same thing over and over again. Apparently I lack imagination. So, I made myself a list of all the meals my family likes to eat. I found it really helps me to plan a variety of meals. I can look through the list and determine what we haven't had in awhile.

Today I still use that list of meals to make my menu plans. Occasionally I add things. Occasionally I take things off the list.

No comments: