Saturday, February 14, 2009

Have I Taken Frugality Too Far?

I'm cheap. I'm not offended by the word. I embrace it. But sometimes, even I wonder if I go a little too far.

Best example, parking when I teach. I teach a course at a university. Parking is horrible. You will NOT find a spot at a meter on the street. You could waste an entire tank of gas driving around looking for one.

Nearest parking costs $5 for the less than 2 hours I'm there. You can park at meters in the parking garage. It will cost you around $2.50 if you've got the change. Better, but not fabulous.

I've discovered that there is a lot about 4 blocks away (about 3/4 mile) that is normally parking by permit only. However, at the time I arrive in the evening, the gates are up and you can go in and park!! I think they do this because it is at the end of the traditional work day and they simply open up the gates so that you can exit via any gate. Well, it's also an entry!! I've parked for free for a couple weeks now saving me around $10-$20 depending upon where I'd have to park otherwise.

But, it's been below zero degrees for several weeks. That stinks. But not enough for me to consider paying to park. Last week though, it rained. Hard. That did make me think about whether or not my frugality was worth it all. Fortunately I had an umbrella. Ultimately I decided that it WAS worth the effort to continue walking despite the bad weather.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good for you. First off I would never ever go anywhere in below zero weather :) and I am too lazy so I would pay to park!