Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Scrip Programs

Ever heard of them? They are a fabulous program available to non-profits. Essentially it is a program whereby you can buy gift cards to major retailers (and some local ones). You pay the face value of the gift card and the non-profit gets a percentage. For example, I buy my groceries at Copps grocery store. Through the scrip program at my son's school, I can buy a $100 Copps gift card for $100. It's worth exactly what I pay for it. But, the school gets 4% back for a purchase of a Copps gift card. Thus, the school gets $4 of every $100 I purchase in Copps cards. Different retailers have different percentages.

It's a fabulous fundraiser as you are only buying what you'd spend anyway. No buying useless junk. Our school does it every week. I think they make quite good money.

I despise traditional fundraisers, but love this program. To start your own scrip program for a non-profit, check out this link http://www.glscrip.com/index.aspx?gclid=CPWWkMeK9pgCFSIeDQod2XZEcw You can also check out all the retailers. They include Walmart, Lands End, Sears, etc. Lots of gas stations, grocery stores, retailers, restaurants, etc.

Our school gives us an added bonus. Any percentage they receive from your scrip purchase, they give us half of it as a tuition credit. Last year I made $100 towards my son's tuition.

The other advantage to scrip for me is that it promotes the use of cash or a cash equivalent for me. Basically, I don't put gas or groceries on the credit card anymore. I win all around!

No comments: