Friday, February 27, 2009

Why I Love Walgreens

Walgreens. How I love thee.

Walgreens is a great place to get some deals. Next week I have quite a few things that I want/need. I'm able to see the Walgreens ads for the next several weeks by using the website http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/walgreens/ It's also great because people analyze their coupons and help you figure out good deals.

On my grocery list for this next week are diapers and Mountain Dew. When I originally made my grocery list I found Mountain Dew on sale 3 for $11. I noticed at a different store (signficantly further away) that it was 3 for $10. I figured I'd spend $10 on soda this next week. Plus I need diapers. I usually buy two big Target packs at a time for $10.59 each. So I figured about $31.18 for diapers and soda for the next week (which should last us nearly a month).

However, looking at the Hot Coupon World website, I noticed that Mountain Dew and their Walgreens brand diapers were on sale starting Sunday. I've used Walgreens brand diapers before and I really like them. They are pretty good. So, for next week I've planned the following transactions at Walgreens . . .

#1 Colgate for 3.29 + tax. At checkout I'll get a RR for 3.29 (a RR is a coupon towards your next purchase of anything at Walgreens)
#2 2 12 pks of Mountain Dew for $8.00 - $3.29 RR= $4.71 and I'll get a $3 RR.
#3 Colgate for 3.29 + tax - $3 RR = $0.29 plus tax and I'll get a RR for $3.29.
#4 2 12 pks of Mountain Dew for $8.00 - $3.29 RR = $4.71 and I'll get a $3 RR
#5 Colgate for 3.29 + tax - $3 RR = $0.29 plus tax and I'll get a RR for $3.29
#6 2 paks of diapers for $9.00 - $3.29 RR = $5.71
#7 Colgate for $3.29 + tax and at checkout I'll get a RR for $3.29
#8 2 paks of diapers for $9.00 - $3.29 RR = $5.71

I end up spending a total of $28 plus tax I'll get 4 packs of Mountain Dew (instead of 3), 4 packages of diapers (which are slightly more diapers than 2 Target packs) and 4 tubes of toothpaste. Less than I would have spent shopping grocery store sales and buying Target diapers. Not bad!!

Now, I don't do all these transactions at once. I'll probably break it up in 3 or 4 trips to Walgreens. Fortunately they are just about a block away and I pass one almost every time I get in the car to go anywhere. I could do them all in one trip, but it starts to look a little bit suspicious (even though there is nothing wrong with what I'm doing).

No comments: